Real Estate Taxi Feed Real Estate Taxi Twitter
Real Estate Taxi Facebook

All Posts

How do I switch my Primary Residency?

“My husband and I sold our primary home this year, but still own another house in a different state. We are now renting in the city of our primary home, but would like our second home to be considered our primary for capital gains reasons. I spend at least 50 % of my time at our second (now only) home. What do we need to do to make our 2nd home our primary?”

Primary Residency

Primary Residency

First and foremost, I suggest you consult a tax professional. Tax professionals deal with state residency issues on a regular basis. There are a great deal of people whom claim they live in another state, then they truly live in. The reason being some states are state-income-tax-free, an example would be Florida. This benefit would be considered tax evasion, and it will cost you time and money.

It would be smart to start keeping a detailed booklet, logging when you are actually present in each home. I think you need around 183 days in a home to consider it your primary residence. In order to qualify for the tax exemption, you may need to actually log 2 full years out of the past 5 actually living in that home, so if you’re only there half the year, it may take you 4 of those 5 years just to get 2 full years that actually qualify.

Primary Residency.

  • For majority of the year, a owner lives within the property.
  • The property is in a location that makes sense in relation to their employment.
  • The home contains characteristics that suits the needs of their immediate family.
  • The borrower intends to occupy the property.

Secondary Residency.

  • A secondary residence or vacation home must be a reasonable distance away from a principal residence.
  • The owner must occupy the property for some portion of the year and the property must be suitable for year round occupancy.
  • It’s generally a little tougher to qualify for a second home.

I am not a tax professional so reaching out to one is the best advise I can give you. It is just too complex of a situation to just guess on. Spending a couple hundred bucks with a tax adviser now could save you thousands in taxes or penalties, if your wrong.

If you found this post useful or to your liking, please reward it by stumbling, digging or casting a vote on any other social media service you might like to use. Also don’t forget to subscribe to our blog, so you don’t miss out on any of our posts.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Technorati
  • MySpace
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon

Related Posts

Leave a Reply




You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>